Walker COB Computer Proficiency Test
The computer proficiency test requires students to demonstrate proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access) as well as other relevant information technology skills.
The test assesses skills related to:
- Personal Computing Basics (4 questions): Basic understanding of operating systems, The ability to create, edit, or delete a folder, Zip files, and Take a screenshot
- Word (13 questions): Basic functions (Open a document, save, print), Bibliography tools, Commenting and track changes tools, Comparing documents, Cover pages, Formatting options (Font and paragraph changes, margins, orientation, bullets, columns), Headers/footers, Line spacing, Page numbers, Spelling/grammar checks, Styles, Table of Contents, and Tables in Word
- PowerPoint (9 questions): Animation, Basic functions (Open, save, print), Charts, Presentation guidelines (organization, content, design, and delivery best practices), Shapes, Transitions, Using design themes, Using different views, and Video
- Excel (14 questions): Basic commands (Open, save, etc.), Worksheet/Workbook differences, How the fill handle can be used, Formatting worksheet appearance (Borders/shading, fonts, etc), Row control (Insert/delete rows, merge and center, freezing, hiding, and protecting), Printing options (Page orientation, page breaks, etc.), Relative and absolute cell referencing, SUM function, IF, VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP, Charts (column, clustered, stacked, bar, pie, line, etc.), Excel "tables" feature, Sorting, Pivot tables
- Access (6 questions): Access basics (objects, saving, backing up, compacting), Create a database and table, Understanding database relationships, Understand queries and the query wizard, Understand functions in Access, and Create reports
- Information Technology Literacy (2 questions): Connecting to the Internet and Understanding computer security and how to protect your equipment
Students will have 75 minutes to complete the test. It is a closed book, closed-notes, computer-based exam and NO support materials will be allowed in the examination room.
A minimum score of 60% must be achieved to pass the test.
Studying for the test
Online Microsoft MS Office 2010 tutorials are useful to study for the computer proficiency test:
Upcoming Dates to Register and Take the Exam
January 9th & January 12th , 2015: (Jan 9th & 12th-FULL) Exam will be given at 5 p.m. in Peacock Hall 2011 Registration will be open on Decmber 12th thru January 2nd
March 17th & March 18th, 2015: Exam will be given at 5 p.m. in Peacock Hall 2011 Registration will be open on February 17th thru March 10th
PLEASE NOTE: This Walker COB Proficiency Exam will be online and will be given using a tool called MYITLab. You will be sent a confirmation email and instructions on how to create a MYITLab Account a week prior to taking your exam. The MYITLab Account will cost each student $15.00 each time you take the exam. You will have to have a MYITLab Username and Password to enter the exam room on the date of the exam.
All inquires regarding registration should be directed to Dr. Sean McGann (email@example.com)