Please submit one entry when registering.
About the Computer Proficiency Exam
The computer proficiency test requires students to demonstrate proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office 2016 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access) as well as other relevant information technology skills.
The test assesses skills related to:
- Word : Basic functions (Open a document, save, print), Bibliography tools, Commenting and track changes tools, Comparing documents, Cover pages, Formatting options (Font and paragraph changes, margins, orientation, bullets, columns), Headers/footers, Line spacing, Page numbers, Spelling/grammar checks, Styles, Table of Contents, and Tables in Word
- PowerPoint: Animation, Basic functions (Open, save, print), Charts, Presentation guidelines (organization, content, design, and delivery best practices), Shapes, Transitions, Using design themes, Using different views, and Video
- Excel : Basic commands (Open, save, etc.), Worksheet/Workbook differences, How the fill handle can be used, Formatting worksheet appearance (Borders/shading, fonts, etc), Row control (Insert/delete rows, merge and center, freezing, hiding, and protecting), Printing options (Page orientation, page breaks, etc.), Relative and absolute cell referencing, SUM function, IF, VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP, Charts (column, clustered, stacked, bar, pie, line, etc.), Excel "tables" feature, Sorting, Pivot tables
- Access: Access basics (objects, saving, backing up, compacting), Create a database and table, Understanding database relationships, Understand queries and the query wizard, Understand functions in Access, and Create report.
Students will have 75 minutes to complete the test. It is a closed book, closed-notes, computer-based exam and no support materials will be allowed in the examination room.
A minimum score of 60% must be achieved to pass the test. You are allowed two separate attempts to pass the exam. If not canceled earlier, a no-show on exam day may result in a 0 as an attempt.
If you would like to use your Office of Disability Resources approved testing accommodations please specify on registration.
Registration for the Computer Proficiency Exam
PLEASE NOTE: This Walker COB Proficiency Exam is a web-based test given in a Classroom Lab using a tool called MYITLab. You will be sent a confirmation email and instructions on how to create a MYITLab Account. The MYITLab Account will cost each student $19.99. You must have a MYITLab Username and Password to enter the exam room on the date of the exam.
Each exam will open for registration on the first business day of that month unless there is more than one exam in that month. All exams are held in Peacock Hall in Room(s) 2011, 2012 or 2015.
- May 28, 2019 - 4 pm - Registration closes May 24th at 4pm.
- June 28, 2019 - 1 pm - Registration opens June 3
These are the fall dates for the exam.
- August 19, 2019 - 5 pm
- October 22, 2019 - 5 pm
- November 1, 2019 - 3 pm
- November 15, 2019 - 3 pm
- December 2, 2019 - 5 pm
Preparing for the Test
Online Microsoft MS Office 2016 tutorials are useful to refresher tool for the computer proficiency test: