- Ph.D., Arizona State University
- M.B.A., Brigham Young University
- B.S., Washington State University
Joseph A. Cazier completed a Ph.D. at Arizona State University in information systems. Joseph is a leader in the field of analytics where he has published and worked in extensively including many grant-funded projects in Analytics. He has a keen interest in using analytics to build a better world, especially in the areas of education and sustainability. In 2016 Joseph was named the University of North Carolina System Fellow in Technology Commercialization.
In addition to directing the Center for Analytics Research and Education, Joseph Chaired the Business Analytics Task Force that designed the MBA in Analytics concentration, the Analytics Graduate Certificate and the new MS in Applied Data Analytics. Joseph has work experience as a data analysis, consultant, biotechnology researcher, and entrepreneur, having substantially participated in the creations of more than 5 startups. Joseph is an active member of AIS and INFORMS and holds the prestigious Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) designation.
- Cazier, J. A., Bergman, S. M., Hunter, C. E., Lynch, I., Clements, J. S. & Johnson, B. G. (2015) “Systems and Methods for Air Filtration Monitoring”, Attorney docket no. P290010.WO.01 and PCT No. PCT/US2015/050033.
Selected Journal Articles
Cazier, Joseph, Rünzel, Max, LaBrie, Ryan and Steinke, Gerhard (2020) “Data Driven Life Coach: Guiding and Controlling Our Data to Better Benefit us and Society”, EDP Audit Control and Security (EDPACS) Newsletter, Volume 61, issue 2 pp1, https://doi.org/10.1080/07366981.2020.1726610
Russell, J. A., Cazier, J. A., Hassler, E. E. & Mueller, T. S. (2020). Using Data Analytics to Understand the Electrical Consumption Patterns of Residential Buildings, Journal of Architectural Engineering, (vol. 26, issue 1). https://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/(ASCE)AE.1943-5568.0000384
Antonio Rafael Braga, Danielo G. Gomesa, Richard E.L. Rogers, Edgar E. Hassler, Breno M. Freitas, & Joseph A. Cazier (2020) “A Method for Mining Combined Data from in-Hive Sensors, Weather and Apiary Inspections to Forecast the Health Status of Honey Bee Colonies” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 169 (Febuary 2020) 105161, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2019.105161
J. Rivera-Gomis, J. Bubnic, A. Ribarits, R. Moosbeckhofer, O. Alber, P. Kozmus, R. Jannoni-Sebastianini, W. Haefeker, H. Koegleberger, M.I. Smodis Skerl, B. Tiozzo, M. Pietropaoli, J. Lubroth, E. Raizman, C. Lietaer, R. Zilli, R. Eggenhoeffner, M. Higes, M.N. Muz, C. D’Ascenzi, M.P. Riviere, A. Gregorc, J. Cazier, E. Hassler, J. Wilkes & G. Formato (2019), “Good farming practices in apiculture”, Scientific and Technical Review of the World Organization for Animal Health (OiE), Volume 38 (3), December 2019., https://www.oie.int/en/publications-and-documentation/scientific-and-technical-review-free-access/enpeer-reviewed-papers-for-the-plurithematic-review-2019
Mueller, T. , Hassler, E. , Cazier, J. and Russell, J. (2019), “Energy Audits and Efficiency Rebates Drive Energy Consumer Satisfaction” Natural Gas & Electricity, 36: 13-18. doi:10.1002/gas.22140
Trent J. Spaulding, Edgar E. Hassler, Charles H.L. Edwards, Joseph A. Cazier, (2019) “Sandwich Analytics: A Dataset Comprising One Year’s Weekly Sales Data Correlated with Crime, Demographics, and Weather” Data in Brief, 2019, 104252, ISSN 2352-3409, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2019.104252.
Hassler, E., Cazier, J., Russell, J., Mueller, T., Paprocki, D. (2019). “Standardizing Public Utility Data: A Case Study of a Rural Mid-Size Utility”. Journal of Information Systems Applied Research, 12(1) pp 36-47. http://jisar.org/2019-12/ ISSN: 1946-1836.
Cech, Thomas G., Spaulding, Trent J., & Cazier, Joseph A. (2018) "Data Competence Maturity: Developing Data Driven Decision Making" Journal of Research in Innovative Teaching & Learning. Vol. 11 No. 2, pp. 139-158.,https://doi.org/10.1108/JRIT-03-2018-0007https://doi.org/10.1108/JRIT-03-2018-0007
Labrie, R. C., Steinke, G. H, Li, X., & Cazier, J. A., ( 2018) “Big Data Analytics Sentiment: US-China Reaction to Data Collection by Business and Government” The Journal of Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 130 (2018), 45-55.
Cazier, J. A., Jones, L. S., McGee, J., Jacobs, M., Paprocki, D. and Sledge, R. ( 2017) “Moving From Forecast to Prediction: How Honors Programs Can Use Easily Accessible Predictive Analytics to Improve Enrollment Management” Journal of the National Collegiate Honors Council, Vol 18, No. 2, Fall/Winter 2017, pp 213-234.
Cazier, J. A., Shao, B. B. M., and St. Louis, R. D. (2017) “Value Congruence, Trust, and Their Effects on Purchase Intention and Reservation Price" Association for Computing Machinery: Transactions on Management Information Systems,Vol. 8, No. 4, Article 13. Publication date: August 2017.
Dickinson, D. L., Cazier, J. A., Cech, T. G. (2016) “A practical validation study of a commercial accelerometer using good and poor sleepers”, Health Psychology Open, July-December 2016, 1-10.
Selected Education Outreach Articles
1. Cazier, Joseph A., Hassler, Edgar E., Wilkes, James T., Runzel, Max A., Formato, Giovanni, Brodschneider, Robert (2019) “The Promise of Standardized Data and How to Achieve it”, Bee Culture, November 2019 issue. Pages 43-48.
2. Scott, Andrew, Cazier, Joseph, Hassler Edgar and Wilkes, James (2019) “Research in Action: Towards Real-Time Varroa Mapping”, Bee Culture, September 2019 issue. Pages 47-51.
3. Temby, Kelton, Cazier, Joseph and Scott, Andrew (2019) “Technology in Action: Eyesonhives”, Bee Culture, July 2019 issue. Pages 44-50.
4. Cazier, Joseph and Omer Davidi (2019) “Technology in Action: Optimizing Pollination with BeeHero.io” Bee Culture, May 2019 issue. Pages 40-44.
5. Cazier, Joseph A., Wilkes, James T, Walton, Ethan (2019) “Technology in Action: HiveTracks Hobbyist Platform” Bee Culture, April 2019 issue. Pages 35-41.
6. Cazier, Joseph A., Wilkes, James T, Wilkes, Sullivan and Moyen, Derek (2019) “Technology in Action: HiveTracks Commercial Apiary Management System” Bee Culture, March 2019 Issue,. Pages 37-42.
7. Cazier, Joseph A., Haefeker, Walter, Wilkes, James T., and Hassler Edgar (2019) “Building Trust and Data Integrity in Bee Data Sharing”, Bee Culture, February 2019 issue. Pages 37-44.
8. Cazier, Joseph A., Haefeker, Walter, Wilkes, James T., and Hassler Edgar (2019) “Risks and Rewards of Data Sharing for Commercial Beekeepers”, Bee Culture, January 2019 issue. (beeculture.com/data-sharing-risks-and-rewards-2/)
9. Cazier, Joseph A., Haefeker, Walter and Hassler Edgar (2018) “Data Sharing Risks and Rewards for Hobbyist Beekeepers”, Bee Culture, December 2018 issue. Pages 23-30.
10. Cazier, Joseph A., Haefeker, Walter and Hassler Edgar (2018) “BeeXML Part II - Achieving the Goal of Standardized Data”, Bee Culture, November 2018 issue. Pages 26-33.
11. Cazier, Joseph A., and Haefeker, Walter (2018) “BeeXML Part I: The Power of Big Data and Analytics”, Bee Culture, October 2018 issue. Pages 30-34.
12. Cazier, Joseph A. (2018) “BeeWeek in Brussels: Why Americans Should Care”, Bee Culture, September 2018 issue. Pages 26-29.
13. Cazier, Joseph A., Rogers, R., Hassler, E. E. and Wilkes, James T. (2018) “The Healthy Colony Checklist (HCC) Part II: Validating and Using the HCC for Hive Inspections”, Bee Culture, August 2018 Issue. Pages 27-31.
14. Cazier, Joseph A., Rogers, R., Hassler, E. E. and Wilkes, James T. (2018) “The Healthy Colony Checklist (HCC) Part I: A Framework for Aggregating Hive Inspection Data”, Bee Culture, July 2018 Issue. Pages 29-32.
15. Cazier, Joseph A., Wilkes, James T. and Hassler, Ed E. (2018) “Nudging Beekeepers Into the Future With the Technology Acceptance Model”, Bee Culture, June 2018 Issue. Pages 35-40.
16. Cazier, Joseph A. (2018) “Electronic Records: A Path to Better Beekeeping”, Bee Culture, May 2018 Issue. Pages 37-40.
17. Cazier, Joseph A. (2018) “Peering into the Future: The Path to a Genius Hive”, Bee Culture, April 2018 Issue. Pages 44-46.
Department: Department of Computer Information Systems
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-6184
Fax: (828) 262-6190